tastecard
2 for 1 mealsMaximum of 2 peopleBooking requiredSaturday restrictionDecember restriction
Pied Bull image
Pied Bull image
Pied Bull image
Pied Bull image
Pied Bull image

2 for 1 at Pied Bull

The Pied Bull is situated within the walls of the historic Roman City of Chester. Reputed to be the oldest licensed house in Chester. The pub dates from 1155 and today the interior reflects its distinctive heritage.

All of the food here is freshly prepared by the team of three chefs and is locally sourced where possible. The atmosphere here is warm and welcoming, and the friendly members of staff are happy to accept your custom.

Serving traditional pub fayre throughout the day and with the only operational brewery within the city walls, the Pied Bull is popular with locals and tourists alike. A city centre inn with the warm feel of a country pub.

Important Information

Please Note: Advance booking is essential and the discount is not available on Sunday lunch menu. The tastecard discount is not available on Bank Holidays or Celebration Days including Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day etc or during the month of December.

View all reviews
Pied Bull
Average member score
4.1 10
Diner rating
Excellent
5
Very good
3
Good
1
Average
0
Poor
1
Summary
Food quality
Customer service
Ease of tastecard use
Atmosphere
Reviews
" First time using card, to my surprise worked well!"
Read more
Ian said "Great Pub
Pub serving very good traditional British food with proper vegetables; plus 'home..."
Read more
Awe said "Awesome
Awesome"
Read more
Sarah said "Good Brill Staff Not So
The food was really nice home made (we had steak pie) and it's a beautiful old pub which..."
Read more
Robert said
" went there with my wife and I must say everything was excellent from the staff who were really..."
Read more
Jill said "Food
Lovely old pub, staff very friendly. Booked a table for two, quick service. We were disappointed..."
Read more
richard said "GOOD FRIDAY LUNCH
Warm welcome to a reserved table. Good choice on the menu. and a day SPECIAL We had Haddock and..."
Read more
A said "Awful
We had an awful meal at the Pied bull today. Ok we weren't charged for it but that's..."
Read more
Helen said "Delish
Phoned and got booked in fast. Excellent service and great choice on menu. My husband had game..."
Read more
Jenny said "average pub food
The food was average but the service was excellent both the manager Luke and the young waitress..."
Read more
  • " First time using card, to my surprise worked well! "
    Posted 1 month, 13 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Ian said: "Great Pub
    Pub serving very good traditional British food with proper vegetables; plus 'home brew' beer highly rated by CAMRA. What more can you ask for on a damp August day! "
    Posted 3 months, 12 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Awe said: "Awesome
    Awesome "
    Posted 8 months, 19 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Sarah said: "Good Brill Staff Not So
    The food was really nice home made (we had steak pie) and it's a beautiful old pub which gives it a lovely atmosphere. However staff weren't very friendly - upon finding that we had a taste card. Lots of eye rolling and sarcasm like huffy teenagers. Shame really! "
    Posted 10 months, 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Robert said:
    " went there with my wife and I must say everything was excellent from the staff who were really friendly to the decor when we got there they were just finishing putting up the Christmas decorations they were lovely
    We ordered some food it was excellent and you could tell it was definitely freshly cooked and home made would recommend this place and would go back there "
    Posted 1 year, 11 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jill said: "Food
    Lovely old pub, staff very friendly. Booked a table for two, quick service. We were disappointed with the sirloin steak, very chewy, hand made chips very nice. Half a tomato & mushroom grilled & watercress. Wouldn't have liked to pay the full price. Wasn't value for money. "
    Posted 1 year, 4 months, 9 days ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • richard said: "GOOD FRIDAY LUNCH
    Warm welcome to a reserved table. Good choice on the menu. and a day SPECIAL We had Haddock and the home made pie. Both well cooked and well presented...Basket of "proper" chips, mushy peas with the fish and carrot, broccoli and real gravy with the chicken and sweetcorn pie. Both meals were completely satisfactory an all respects. Service was admirable and efficient.
    we will return and we recommend THE PIED BULL. "
    Posted 1 year, 8 months, 1 day ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • A said: "Awful
    We had an awful meal at the Pied bull today. Ok we weren't charged for it but that's not the idea of going out for a meal. The roast was cold and when the Yorkshire pudding was cut into a load of fat came out and smothered everything on the plate. I am coeliac and asked for gluten free meal. They were accommodating with frying some fish without the batter but the chips were awful and tasted if old fat. I wasn't happy that cross contamination hadn't happened so left the rest of the meal. I will never eat here again. "
    Posted 1 year, 9 months, 26 days ago...
    1 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Helen said: "Delish
    Phoned and got booked in fast. Excellent service and great choice on menu. My husband had game terine starter which he found to be delish and steak burger main. Again perfect. I had soup and rump steak which was delicous. We both had bakewell tart pudding. 10 out of 10. Will be going again. Lovely place to go and cant wait till next time. Thanks guys "
    Posted 1 year, 10 months, 18 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jenny said: "average pub food
    The food was average but the service was excellent both the manager Luke and the young waitress were very friendly and explained how the taste card worked. The pub is a lovely old pub with oak beams and offers a wide selection of beers and wine. The dinning area is roomy. We had the apple and cherry pie with ice cream and I wasn't very impresses with that. "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 19 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
Please enter all the fields marked in red
Rating Summary
Food quality
Customer service
Ease of tastecard use
Atmosphere
Overall
Submitting review
  • " First time using card, to my surprise worked well! "
    Posted 1 month, 13 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Ian said: "Great Pub
    Pub serving very good traditional British food with proper vegetables; plus 'home brew' beer highly rated by CAMRA. What more can you ask for on a damp August day! "
    Posted 3 months, 12 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Awe said: "Awesome
    Awesome "
    Posted 8 months, 19 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Sarah said: "Good Brill Staff Not So
    The food was really nice home made (we had steak pie) and it's a beautiful old pub which gives it a lovely atmosphere. However staff weren't very friendly - upon finding that we had a taste card. Lots of eye rolling and sarcasm like huffy teenagers. Shame really! "
    Posted 10 months, 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Robert said:
    " went there with my wife and I must say everything was excellent from the staff who were really friendly to the decor when we got there they were just finishing putting up the Christmas decorations they were lovely
    We ordered some food it was excellent and you could tell it was definitely freshly cooked and home made would recommend this place and would go back there "
    Posted 1 year, 11 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jill said: "Food
    Lovely old pub, staff very friendly. Booked a table for two, quick service. We were disappointed with the sirloin steak, very chewy, hand made chips very nice. Half a tomato & mushroom grilled & watercress. Wouldn't have liked to pay the full price. Wasn't value for money. "
    Posted 1 year, 4 months, 9 days ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • richard said: "GOOD FRIDAY LUNCH
    Warm welcome to a reserved table. Good choice on the menu. and a day SPECIAL We had Haddock and the home made pie. Both well cooked and well presented...Basket of "proper" chips, mushy peas with the fish and carrot, broccoli and real gravy with the chicken and sweetcorn pie. Both meals were completely satisfactory an all respects. Service was admirable and efficient.
    we will return and we recommend THE PIED BULL. "
    Posted 1 year, 8 months, 1 day ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • A said: "Awful
    We had an awful meal at the Pied bull today. Ok we weren't charged for it but that's not the idea of going out for a meal. The roast was cold and when the Yorkshire pudding was cut into a load of fat came out and smothered everything on the plate. I am coeliac and asked for gluten free meal. They were accommodating with frying some fish without the batter but the chips were awful and tasted if old fat. I wasn't happy that cross contamination hadn't happened so left the rest of the meal. I will never eat here again. "
    Posted 1 year, 9 months, 26 days ago...
    1 out of 2 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Helen said: "Delish
    Phoned and got booked in fast. Excellent service and great choice on menu. My husband had game terine starter which he found to be delish and steak burger main. Again perfect. I had soup and rump steak which was delicous. We both had bakewell tart pudding. 10 out of 10. Will be going again. Lovely place to go and cant wait till next time. Thanks guys "
    Posted 1 year, 10 months, 18 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jenny said: "average pub food
    The food was average but the service was excellent both the manager Luke and the young waitress were very friendly and explained how the taste card worked. The pub is a lovely old pub with oak beams and offers a wide selection of beers and wine. The dinning area is roomy. We had the apple and cherry pie with ice cream and I wasn't very impresses with that. "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 19 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall