tastecard
50% off food billMaximum of 12 peopleOnline bookingFriday restrictionSaturday restrictionAvailable December
Habesha Restaurant & Bar image
Habesha Restaurant & Bar image
Habesha Restaurant & Bar image

50% off at Habesha Restaurant & Bar

Situated at the heart of Manchester, Habesha is an old Ethiopian name and it is Manchester’s only Ethiopian restaurant. It’s a unique venue serving east African delicacies, all cooked fresh to order.

The first of its kind in Manchester, Habesha’s chef and owner learned to cook using traditional Ethiopian methods through parents and grandparents and now this amazing style of cooking is on offer on Sackville Street, Manchester.

There’s a great selection of meat and vegetarian dishes, including the delicious speciality Doro Wot - delicious tender chicken marinated in lemon, sautéed in seasoned butter and stewed in red pepper, flavoured with onions, ginger and cardamom.

Next time you’re booking a meal, if you’re bored of the same old restaurants, why not give Habesha a whirl?

With its quirky menu, high quality, filling food and surprisingly low prices, Habesha should be definitely on your list of places to visit.

View all reviews
Habesha Restaurant & Bar
Average member score
4.8 20
Diner rating
Excellent
17
Very good
3
Good
0
Average
0
Poor
0
Summary
Food quality
Customer service
Ease of tastecard use
Atmosphere
Reviews
Dom said
" Excellent customer service. Extremely friendly and attentive. Tasty, wholesome home-cooked food."
Read more
Annie said "too good
second time going now and it is unbelievable . Amazing food amazing staff"
Read more
Annie said "Fantastic Authentic Welcoming
Very unusual setting and location but don't let it put you off. The food was phenomenal. So..."
Read more
Hollyblastoise said "My New Fave!
Lovely service, amazing food, amazing beer, great atmosphere and stupidly cheap even before the..."
Read more
Rico said "Exceptional Experience
Authentic, friendly and delicious."
Read more
Warrick said "What A Little Gem
This is one of Manchester's best hidden gems. If you didn't know it was there,..."
Read more
Rebecca said "Great Food And Atmosphere
Thanks to everyone at Habesha for a great night.....so much food....we left with two big doggie..."
Read more
Msyum said
" Lovely food and service at brilliant value! The doro wot is yum, plus Ethiopian beer"
Read more
Matt said "Lovely food
Lovely unique food. Delcious fresh and filling. Lovely staff"
Read more
Happy said "Great Little Gem! A Definite Must!
You MUST go to this place! Great food, great service, great value! The other reviews are right..."
Read more
Pindu said "Beyond Words Can Explain
Simply superb 10/10"
Read more
EMMA said "You need to eat here
A charming restaurant, with friendly and attentive staff, a real hidden gem in Manchester. I..."
Read more
"Absolutely Fantastic
Unique and delicious authentic Ethiopian food. Will certainly come back many more times."
Read more
Stephen said "Nice Food With Good Beer
An experience eating Ethiopian food with sour bread by hand. Tasty food I would recommend the..."
Read more
R said "Unique
Great little restaurant, tucked above a takeaway but don't let that put you off. Very..."
Read more
zahra said "Takes ling but worth it
With cheap beers and wine, the long wait for the food is tolerable"
Read more
Ian said "Amazing!!!
Lovely people, lovely place and the food is so incredible"
Read more
Jonathan said
" I'm really pleased I tried this place. The food was lovely - warm, filling and comforting -..."
Read more
Victoria said
" I took my Mum, Dad, and Husband to this amazing restaurant. We were greeted with a warm smile and..."
Read more
Jeremy said "Don't be put off by the entrance
Simple tasty food served well and in a nice environment. The entrance is through another tacky..."
Read more
"My girlfriend and I were in Manchester for the day and really didn't want to end up in a big..."
Read more
"We eat here about once a week, and it's brilliant! The food is really different, really..."
Read more
  • Dom said:
    " Excellent customer service. Extremely friendly and attentive. Tasty, wholesome home-cooked food. "
    Posted 1 month, 18 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Annie said: "too good
    second time going now and it is unbelievable . Amazing food amazing staff "
    Posted 1 month, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Annie said: "Fantastic Authentic Welcoming
    Very unusual setting and location but don't let it put you off. The food was phenomenal. So tasty and quite light. Far too cheap so get yourself a deal. The staff were so welcoming and attentive. 5****** "
    Posted 2 months, 12 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Hollyblastoise said: "My New Fave!
    Lovely service, amazing food, amazing beer, great atmosphere and stupidly cheap even before the taste card discount! There are veggie/vegan options too. Small menu but fabulous food! "
    Posted 7 months, 3 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Rico said: "Exceptional Experience
    Authentic, friendly and delicious. "
    Posted 7 months, 7 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Warrick said: "What A Little Gem
    This is one of Manchester's best hidden gems. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it - but you'll be pleased when you do. The staff are always helpful and attentive, great food and excellent Ethiopian beers.
    Can't recommend it enough! "
    Posted 7 months, 16 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Rebecca said: "Great Food And Atmosphere
    Thanks to everyone at Habesha for a great night.....so much food....we left with two big doggie bags! It was soooo yummy! Thanks again "
    Posted 7 months, 28 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Msyum said:
    " Lovely food and service at brilliant value! The doro wot is yum, plus Ethiopian beer "
    Posted 8 months, 11 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Matt said: "Lovely food
    Lovely unique food. Delcious fresh and filling. Lovely staff "
    Posted 10 months, 10 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Happy said: "Great Little Gem! A Definite Must!
    You MUST go to this place! Great food, great service, great value! The other reviews are right about the entrance but go inside and taste the food. We had the chicken dot and lamb curry (hot and spicy) and was so tasty and filling! It was such good value we didn't even use the taste card as the food bill only came to £13! The Ethiopian beer is great too - took some home. "
    Posted 11 months, 3 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Pindu said: "Beyond Words Can Explain
    Simply superb 10/10 "
    Posted 1 year, 1 month, 21 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • EMMA said: "You need to eat here
    A charming restaurant, with friendly and attentive staff, a real hidden gem in Manchester. I simply cannot recommend Hebesha strongly enough, I have eaten here on several occasions and have never been disappointed! "
    Posted 1 year, 2 months, 17 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "Absolutely Fantastic
    Unique and delicious authentic Ethiopian food. Will certainly come back many more times. "
    Posted 1 year, 2 months, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Stephen said: "Nice Food With Good Beer
    An experience eating Ethiopian food with sour bread by hand. Tasty food I would recommend the lamb but our party tried a bit of everything and it was all delicious. The chicken was beautiful. "
    Posted 1 year, 5 months, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • R said: "Unique
    Great little restaurant, tucked above a takeaway but don't let that put you off. Very hospitable staff who were very attentive, and explained how to eat the food. Not the biggest menu, but the three dishes we shared were excellent and very different (in a good way). Would definitely go again, maybe with a bigger group! "
    Posted 1 year, 7 months, 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • zahra said: "Takes ling but worth it
    With cheap beers and wine, the long wait for the food is tolerable "
    Posted 1 year, 8 months, 2 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Ian said: "Amazing!!!
    Lovely people, lovely place and the food is so incredible "
    Posted 1 year, 10 months, 14 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jonathan said:
    " I'm really pleased I tried this place. The food was lovely - warm, filling and comforting - and the service was great. The waiter was very friendly and helped me with a recommendation from the menu. The price was fantastic. Like other reviews say, don't be put off by the kebab shop entrance - once you're upstairs it's brilliant. "
    Posted 2 years, 8 months, 12 days ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Victoria said:
    " I took my Mum, Dad, and Husband to this amazing restaurant. We were greeted with a warm smile and were looked after. The food was something I’ve never tasted before and would try again. I would give this restaurant 10 out of 10. We had the Chicken Doro Wot, Yebeg Wot, Yetsom Beyeynetu and Awaze tibs and Yebeg alicha Fitfit. And yes our eyes are bigger than our bellies. We will go back again. What a great little place. So glad we went. Thank you Habesha.x "
    Posted 2 years, 11 months, 11 days ago...
    2 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jeremy said: "Don't be put off by the entrance
    Simple tasty food served well and in a nice environment. The entrance is through another tacky fast food joint but once you see the restaurant it's a different story entirely. "
    Posted 3 years, 2 months, 7 days ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "My girlfriend and I were in Manchester for the day and really didn't want to end up in a big chain restaurant and found this little gem through Tastecard. If I hadn't read the other review I would definitely have been put off by the dodgy kebab shop entrance. Inside, it's simply decorated, but the food was excellent and remarkably good value for money. The two of us shared the recommended chicken Doro Wot, a lamb dish and a veggie option and were very happy with all three selections. The young lad serving us was extremely charming and we both had a really nice meal - we'll be recommending this to friends who live in Manchester. Owen "
    Posted 4 years, 5 months, 15 days ago...
    7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
    Sorry, there are no scores for this review
  • "We eat here about once a week, and it's brilliant! The food is really different, really tasty. The service is very friendly and efficient. Best of all, it is probably the cheapest restaurant I've ever eaten in the UK! Don't be put off by the fact that it's on top of a very dodgy looking kebab shop, this is a brilliant venue for cheap, good-quality rustic Ethiopian dining. Dan   "
    Posted 5 years, 4 months, 14 days ago...
    2 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
    Sorry, there are no scores for this review
Please enter all the fields marked in red
Rating Summary
Food quality
Customer service
Ease of tastecard use
Atmosphere
Overall
Submitting review
  • Dom said:
    " Excellent customer service. Extremely friendly and attentive. Tasty, wholesome home-cooked food. "
    Posted 1 month, 18 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Annie said: "too good
    second time going now and it is unbelievable . Amazing food amazing staff "
    Posted 1 month, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Annie said: "Fantastic Authentic Welcoming
    Very unusual setting and location but don't let it put you off. The food was phenomenal. So tasty and quite light. Far too cheap so get yourself a deal. The staff were so welcoming and attentive. 5****** "
    Posted 2 months, 12 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Hollyblastoise said: "My New Fave!
    Lovely service, amazing food, amazing beer, great atmosphere and stupidly cheap even before the taste card discount! There are veggie/vegan options too. Small menu but fabulous food! "
    Posted 7 months, 3 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Rico said: "Exceptional Experience
    Authentic, friendly and delicious. "
    Posted 7 months, 7 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Warrick said: "What A Little Gem
    This is one of Manchester's best hidden gems. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it - but you'll be pleased when you do. The staff are always helpful and attentive, great food and excellent Ethiopian beers.
    Can't recommend it enough! "
    Posted 7 months, 16 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Rebecca said: "Great Food And Atmosphere
    Thanks to everyone at Habesha for a great night.....so much food....we left with two big doggie bags! It was soooo yummy! Thanks again "
    Posted 7 months, 28 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Msyum said:
    " Lovely food and service at brilliant value! The doro wot is yum, plus Ethiopian beer "
    Posted 8 months, 11 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Matt said: "Lovely food
    Lovely unique food. Delcious fresh and filling. Lovely staff "
    Posted 10 months, 10 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Happy said: "Great Little Gem! A Definite Must!
    You MUST go to this place! Great food, great service, great value! The other reviews are right about the entrance but go inside and taste the food. We had the chicken dot and lamb curry (hot and spicy) and was so tasty and filling! It was such good value we didn't even use the taste card as the food bill only came to £13! The Ethiopian beer is great too - took some home. "
    Posted 11 months, 3 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Pindu said: "Beyond Words Can Explain
    Simply superb 10/10 "
    Posted 1 year, 1 month, 21 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • EMMA said: "You need to eat here
    A charming restaurant, with friendly and attentive staff, a real hidden gem in Manchester. I simply cannot recommend Hebesha strongly enough, I have eaten here on several occasions and have never been disappointed! "
    Posted 1 year, 2 months, 17 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "Absolutely Fantastic
    Unique and delicious authentic Ethiopian food. Will certainly come back many more times. "
    Posted 1 year, 2 months, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Stephen said: "Nice Food With Good Beer
    An experience eating Ethiopian food with sour bread by hand. Tasty food I would recommend the lamb but our party tried a bit of everything and it was all delicious. The chicken was beautiful. "
    Posted 1 year, 5 months, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • R said: "Unique
    Great little restaurant, tucked above a takeaway but don't let that put you off. Very hospitable staff who were very attentive, and explained how to eat the food. Not the biggest menu, but the three dishes we shared were excellent and very different (in a good way). Would definitely go again, maybe with a bigger group! "
    Posted 1 year, 7 months, 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • zahra said: "Takes ling but worth it
    With cheap beers and wine, the long wait for the food is tolerable "
    Posted 1 year, 8 months, 2 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Ian said: "Amazing!!!
    Lovely people, lovely place and the food is so incredible "
    Posted 1 year, 10 months, 14 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jonathan said:
    " I'm really pleased I tried this place. The food was lovely - warm, filling and comforting - and the service was great. The waiter was very friendly and helped me with a recommendation from the menu. The price was fantastic. Like other reviews say, don't be put off by the kebab shop entrance - once you're upstairs it's brilliant. "
    Posted 2 years, 8 months, 12 days ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Victoria said:
    " I took my Mum, Dad, and Husband to this amazing restaurant. We were greeted with a warm smile and were looked after. The food was something I’ve never tasted before and would try again. I would give this restaurant 10 out of 10. We had the Chicken Doro Wot, Yebeg Wot, Yetsom Beyeynetu and Awaze tibs and Yebeg alicha Fitfit. And yes our eyes are bigger than our bellies. We will go back again. What a great little place. So glad we went. Thank you Habesha.x "
    Posted 2 years, 11 months, 11 days ago...
    2 out of 2 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jeremy said: "Don't be put off by the entrance
    Simple tasty food served well and in a nice environment. The entrance is through another tacky fast food joint but once you see the restaurant it's a different story entirely. "
    Posted 3 years, 2 months, 7 days ago...
    3 out of 3 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "My girlfriend and I were in Manchester for the day and really didn't want to end up in a big chain restaurant and found this little gem through Tastecard. If I hadn't read the other review I would definitely have been put off by the dodgy kebab shop entrance. Inside, it's simply decorated, but the food was excellent and remarkably good value for money. The two of us shared the recommended chicken Doro Wot, a lamb dish and a veggie option and were very happy with all three selections. The young lad serving us was extremely charming and we both had a really nice meal - we'll be recommending this to friends who live in Manchester. Owen "
    Posted 4 years, 5 months, 15 days ago...
    7 out of 7 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
    Sorry, there are no scores for this review
  • "We eat here about once a week, and it's brilliant! The food is really different, really tasty. The service is very friendly and efficient. Best of all, it is probably the cheapest restaurant I've ever eaten in the UK! Don't be put off by the fact that it's on top of a very dodgy looking kebab shop, this is a brilliant venue for cheap, good-quality rustic Ethiopian dining. Dan   "
    Posted 5 years, 4 months, 14 days ago...
    2 out of 2 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
    Sorry, there are no scores for this review