Search
2 for 1 mealsMaximum of 2 peopleBooking requiredFriday restrictionSaturday restrictionDecember restriction
Sotano image
Sotano image
Sotano image
Sotano image

2 for 1 at Sotano

Discover a hidden gem of a restaurant in the very centre of the historic city of York with the brilliant Sotano. Nestled along the famous cobbled street of Little Stonegate in the very heart of York, Sotano brings the flavours of Spain to the table, albeit with a modern twist. Just steps from the iconic York Minster, Sotano dishes up an exciting menu of Spanish and Mediterranean style tapas and sharing platters to a mixed crowd of locals and tourists.

Head Chef Carlos Martinez Otazo offers an inspired menu of cleverly crafted tapas, drawing upon his South American and Spanish roots. Wonderfully fresh ingredients are used, many of which have been locally sourced and some of which have been imported from Spain. The tempura squid rings with aioli are divine whilst the salmon and chorizo burger on artisan bread with pickled cucumber is a sensation. The Jamon Iberico Mantanegra is carved to order and a true luxury to the taste buds whilst sharing platter of Spanish charcuterie meats and cheeses are the perfect sharing dish and accompany a glass of fine wine to perfection. Finish off with classic churros topped with melted chocolate or a Catalan Cream.

Speaking of drinks, Sotano doubles up as a great little bar serving classic cocktails, craft beers and one of kind gins along with a superb wine list featuring many Spanish varieties. Exposed brick walls and stylish leather banquettes create the perfect look bringing the character features of the building and modern design together in perfect harmony.

Important Information

Please note: The tastecard discount is not available throughout December.

View all reviews
Sotano
Average member score
4.7 23
Diner rating
Excellent
16
Very good
6
Good
1
Average
0
Poor
0
Summary
Food quality
Customer service
Ease of tastecard use
Atmosphere
Reviews
Susan said "Worth Finding
Tiny frontage on quiet up market street but well worth tracking down.
Menu is sensational..."
Read more
Jo said "Amazing
Great service, food was excellent and you get plenty! Very accommodating explaining taste card..."
Read more
Martin said "Fantastic!!
We should go here more often! The food is exceptional, service great and had no problems using..."
Read more
Stu said "Wonderful Hidden Gem
Great little tapas bar hidden away.
As it’s small the staff give you a personal experience..."
Read more
Victoria said "Hidden gem in York
We had an early evening meal here before the theatre on our taste card. Great service, wonderful..."
Read more
Jiseys said "Probably Great Late At Night
Dark cellar, friendly helpful staff, not a huge choice, olives excellent as were the Parmesan ham..."
Read more
Poppy1987 said "Really Unique Restaurant
Really enjoyed our trip here, very quiet but I can imagine will be a lovely little hide in winter..."
Read more
"Hidden Gem
Food was so tasty ,, bigger potions than I was expecting service was amazing"
Read more
"Great Tapas
Amazing food. Wonderful staff ... and to top it all off there was a great band which started a..."
Read more
Rachael said
" Very enjoyable always looking for new venues for a meal and drinks with friends could pass away..."
Read more
SARAH-JANE said
" Food was very good. Portions bigger than expected. Tasty"
Read more
Sue said "Amazing
Do it but be careful how many you order"
Read more
Catherine said "Best food in York
Me and my daughter had a GREAT dinner here, food is so delicious and staff are friendly. My..."
Read more
Karen said "Hidden Gem
Lovely little place
Excellent service, very helpful and informative staff.
Definitely..."
Read more
Wowzers said
" Real good"
Read more
Anna said
" Excellent food and atmosphere. Fast and friendly staff and easy to use the card. We will be back"
Read more
Lucy said
" Excellent walk in service. Really nice food which is something different with lots on the menu!"
Read more
Emily said
" Really good food, fast friendly service, good dating atmosphere. Really recommend!"
Read more
Moseph said "Tapas & Lager/Ale On Point
Joey was decent ! Great service"
Read more
" Great little find, really know their food and drink well and helped with some great beer..."
Read more
Noriko said
" good!"
Read more
Jeff said "Food and drink after cinema
A place to go and eat good food, and drink, and listen to some good music. The service was very..."
Read more
peter said "Enjoyable tapas
Pleasant Basement tapas bar next to Kennedy's on little stonegate. The tapas dishes were..."
Read more
  • Susan said: "Worth Finding
    Tiny frontage on quiet up market street but well worth tracking down.
    Menu is sensational and quality of food is exceptional.
    Staff very pleasant, patient and professional.
    Taste card very useful and makes the extra value very welcome on top of already reasonable prices.
    Drinks list is extensive particularly if you like a gin!
    Go, you won’t regret it. "
    Posted 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jo said: "Amazing
    Great service, food was excellent and you get plenty! Very accommodating explaining taste card and their menu. "
    Posted 17 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Martin said: "Fantastic!!
    We should go here more often! The food is exceptional, service great and had no problems using the card. A lovely place! "
    Posted 1 month, 4 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Stu said: "Wonderful Hidden Gem
    Great little tapas bar hidden away.
    As it’s small the staff give you a personal experience that other larger restaurants fail to match. Steve’s knowledge on products was just as good as his banter...Amazing!
    Stopped us ordering to much and make us feel at home straight away. If your in York and are stuck for somewhere to eat, this is a must visit. "
    Posted 1 month, 24 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Victoria said: "Hidden gem in York
    We had an early evening meal here before the theatre on our taste card. Great service, wonderful selection of gin and lovely food. Nothing complicated but great calimari, delicious chorizo. Not a huge restaurant but much better lit downstairs than I was expecting. Comfy seating and a very friendly and knowledgeable waitress. We would definitely go again. "
    Posted 6 months, 10 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jiseys said: "Probably Great Late At Night
    Dark cellar, friendly helpful staff, not a huge choice, olives excellent as were the Parmesan ham wrapped asparagus. We’ve not had much tapas but felt the dishes were slightly oily. Calamari cooked for about 30seconds too long! "
    Posted 8 months, 9 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Poppy1987 said: "Really Unique Restaurant
    Really enjoyed our trip here, very quiet but I can imagine will be a lovely little hide in winter as it’s quite dark and atmospheric. Could have done with a bit more going on for a Sunday afternoon maybe. One thing they could do with is an accurate drinks menu - only wine, (massive) gin list and cocktails on the table, beers on a board but with no prices and no mention of soft drinks anywhere.
    However if you like tapas you’ll love this place. Great flavours and so fresh! We ate like kings with our card. Will definitely go back. "
    Posted 9 months, 3 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "Hidden Gem
    Food was so tasty ,, bigger potions than I was expecting service was amazing "
    Posted 9 months, 20 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "Great Tapas
    Amazing food. Wonderful staff ... and to top it all off there was a great band which started a bit later on. Can’t wait to go again! "
    Posted 1 year, 20 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Rachael said:
    " Very enjoyable always looking for new venues for a meal and drinks with friends could pass away an afternoon again "
    Posted 1 year, 1 month, 20 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • SARAH-JANE said:
    " Food was very good. Portions bigger than expected. Tasty "
    Posted 1 year, 6 months, 26 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Sue said: "Amazing
    Do it but be careful how many you order "
    Posted 1 year, 8 months, 22 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Catherine said: "Best food in York
    Me and my daughter had a GREAT dinner here, food is so delicious and staff are friendly. My daughter said, it's the best chicken ever! "
    Posted 1 year, 10 months, 6 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Karen said: "Hidden Gem
    Lovely little place
    Excellent service, very helpful and informative staff.
    Definitely recommend "
    Posted 2 years, 1 day ago...
    0 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Wowzers said:
    " Real good "
    Posted 2 years, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Anna said:
    " Excellent food and atmosphere. Fast and friendly staff and easy to use the card. We will be back "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 3 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Lucy said:
    " Excellent walk in service. Really nice food which is something different with lots on the menu! "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 9 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Emily said:
    " Really good food, fast friendly service, good dating atmosphere. Really recommend! "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 17 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Moseph said: "Tapas & Lager/Ale On Point
    Joey was decent ! Great service "
    Posted 2 years, 7 months, 15 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • " Great little find, really know their food and drink well and helped with some great beer selections. Will definitely be back "
    Posted 2 years, 8 months, 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Noriko said:
    " good! "
    Posted 2 years, 9 months, 5 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jeff said: "Food and drink after cinema
    A place to go and eat good food, and drink, and listen to some good music. The service was very good.... And we used the Taste Card, very easy.
    Will be going back, soon. "
    Posted 2 years, 11 months, 8 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • peter said: "Enjoyable tapas
    Pleasant Basement tapas bar next to Kennedy's on little stonegate. The tapas dishes were nicely done, tasty and different, although seemed comparably expensive. However this was balanced by the tastecard 2 for 1 offer. After the bread and oils starter two dishes each were quite adequate. "
    Posted 3 years, 1 month, 12 days ago...
    2 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
Please enter all the fields marked in red
Rating Summary
Food quality
Customer service
Ease of tastecard use
Atmosphere
Overall
Submitting review

Please read our privacy policy

  • Susan said: "Worth Finding
    Tiny frontage on quiet up market street but well worth tracking down.
    Menu is sensational and quality of food is exceptional.
    Staff very pleasant, patient and professional.
    Taste card very useful and makes the extra value very welcome on top of already reasonable prices.
    Drinks list is extensive particularly if you like a gin!
    Go, you won’t regret it. "
    Posted 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jo said: "Amazing
    Great service, food was excellent and you get plenty! Very accommodating explaining taste card and their menu. "
    Posted 17 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Martin said: "Fantastic!!
    We should go here more often! The food is exceptional, service great and had no problems using the card. A lovely place! "
    Posted 1 month, 4 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Stu said: "Wonderful Hidden Gem
    Great little tapas bar hidden away.
    As it’s small the staff give you a personal experience that other larger restaurants fail to match. Steve’s knowledge on products was just as good as his banter...Amazing!
    Stopped us ordering to much and make us feel at home straight away. If your in York and are stuck for somewhere to eat, this is a must visit. "
    Posted 1 month, 24 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Victoria said: "Hidden gem in York
    We had an early evening meal here before the theatre on our taste card. Great service, wonderful selection of gin and lovely food. Nothing complicated but great calimari, delicious chorizo. Not a huge restaurant but much better lit downstairs than I was expecting. Comfy seating and a very friendly and knowledgeable waitress. We would definitely go again. "
    Posted 6 months, 10 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jiseys said: "Probably Great Late At Night
    Dark cellar, friendly helpful staff, not a huge choice, olives excellent as were the Parmesan ham wrapped asparagus. We’ve not had much tapas but felt the dishes were slightly oily. Calamari cooked for about 30seconds too long! "
    Posted 8 months, 9 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Poppy1987 said: "Really Unique Restaurant
    Really enjoyed our trip here, very quiet but I can imagine will be a lovely little hide in winter as it’s quite dark and atmospheric. Could have done with a bit more going on for a Sunday afternoon maybe. One thing they could do with is an accurate drinks menu - only wine, (massive) gin list and cocktails on the table, beers on a board but with no prices and no mention of soft drinks anywhere.
    However if you like tapas you’ll love this place. Great flavours and so fresh! We ate like kings with our card. Will definitely go back. "
    Posted 9 months, 3 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "Hidden Gem
    Food was so tasty ,, bigger potions than I was expecting service was amazing "
    Posted 9 months, 20 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • "Great Tapas
    Amazing food. Wonderful staff ... and to top it all off there was a great band which started a bit later on. Can’t wait to go again! "
    Posted 1 year, 20 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Rachael said:
    " Very enjoyable always looking for new venues for a meal and drinks with friends could pass away an afternoon again "
    Posted 1 year, 1 month, 20 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • SARAH-JANE said:
    " Food was very good. Portions bigger than expected. Tasty "
    Posted 1 year, 6 months, 26 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Sue said: "Amazing
    Do it but be careful how many you order "
    Posted 1 year, 8 months, 22 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Catherine said: "Best food in York
    Me and my daughter had a GREAT dinner here, food is so delicious and staff are friendly. My daughter said, it's the best chicken ever! "
    Posted 1 year, 10 months, 6 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Karen said: "Hidden Gem
    Lovely little place
    Excellent service, very helpful and informative staff.
    Definitely recommend "
    Posted 2 years, 1 day ago...
    0 out of 1 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Wowzers said:
    " Real good "
    Posted 2 years, 23 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Anna said:
    " Excellent food and atmosphere. Fast and friendly staff and easy to use the card. We will be back "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 3 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Lucy said:
    " Excellent walk in service. Really nice food which is something different with lots on the menu! "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 9 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Emily said:
    " Really good food, fast friendly service, good dating atmosphere. Really recommend! "
    Posted 2 years, 1 month, 17 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Moseph said: "Tapas & Lager/Ale On Point
    Joey was decent ! Great service "
    Posted 2 years, 7 months, 15 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • " Great little find, really know their food and drink well and helped with some great beer selections. Will definitely be back "
    Posted 2 years, 8 months, 6 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Noriko said:
    " good! "
    Posted 2 years, 9 months, 5 days ago...
    0 out of 0 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • Jeff said: "Food and drink after cinema
    A place to go and eat good food, and drink, and listen to some good music. The service was very good.... And we used the Taste Card, very easy.
    Will be going back, soon. "
    Posted 2 years, 11 months, 8 days ago...
    1 out of 1 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
  • peter said: "Enjoyable tapas
    Pleasant Basement tapas bar next to Kennedy's on little stonegate. The tapas dishes were nicely done, tasty and different, although seemed comparably expensive. However this was balanced by the tastecard 2 for 1 offer. After the bread and oils starter two dishes each were quite adequate. "
    Posted 3 years, 1 month, 12 days ago...
    2 out of 2 people found this review helpful... Did you?
    rating summary.
    Food quality
    Customer service
    Ease of tastecard use
    Atmosphere
    Overall
2 for 1 Restaurant Deals