Category: Dish List Recipe
Easy 5 step vegan jackfruit curry recipe.
April 23rd, 2020
By Melissa McPhillips
Aromatic, comforting and exotic, our vegan jackfruit curry recipe inspired by Giraffe is the perfect quick meal to cook at home. Jackfruit made its way onto the food scene in 2019, and at tastecard, we love using it as an alternative to tofu in vegan curries.
What is jackfruit?
It’s a fruit that comes from the same family as the fig and mulberry, and you can find it canned in your local supermarket. Green and prickly, it’s not the most aesthetically pleasing fruit but is packed with the good stuff like vitamin C, potassium and fibre, so it’s become a staple in vegan diets. Head here to find out more about jackfruit.
Clued up? Onto the recipe.
Jackfruit doesn’t have a lot of flavour itself, so there are quite a few ingredients you need to add to pack a punch with your jackfruit curry. It might look a little daunting, but follow our five easy steps and we promise, it’s a doddle.
Easy vegan jackfruit curry recipe.
Serves: 2 people / Prep time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 50 minutes
What you'll need.
1. Heat your oil in a large frying pan and once sizzling, pop in your mustard seeds, chilli, garlic, ginger and onion to cook for around 5 minutes.
2. Next, add your cumin, mustard seeds, turmeric, curry powder, garam masala and cayenne pepper and mix well.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, salt, black pepper and your desired amount of chopped jackfruit. Make sure you’ve drained your tinned jackfruit to remove the brine.
4. Cover everything and leave it to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Then uncover, stir a little to thicken things up and add water before covering and cooking for another 20 minutes or until your curry’s at a consistency you like.
5. Serve and sprinkle with coriander.
Quick vegan jackfruit curry, done.